Posted inUncategorized

Letter to editor: Gas Safety Week

A letter from Wales & West Utilities about Gas Safety Week 2023

Dear Editor,

A message from Wales & West Utilities – take action during Gas Safety Week to keep yourself and loved ones safe

This is Gas Safety Week (11-17 September) which serves as timely reminder for our customers to carry out some simple steps to make sure their gas appliances are working properly ahead of the coming winter months.

Once again, Wales & West Utilities, as the gas emergency and pipeline service for Wales and south west England, is joining with organisations across the UK to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

We are, once again, urging our customers to take some time to follow these simple gas safety steps to help keep them, and their loved ones, safe.

– Save the National Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999 in your phone and call it immediately if you smell gas or suspect the presence of Carbon Monoxide.
– Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home, ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record
– Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at or call 0800 408 5500.
– Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and condensation in the room.
– Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
– Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.

By following these simple steps and sharing information with family, friends and neighbours, we can help save lives.

Yours sincerely,

Clive Book, Head of Operations

Wales & West Utilities

Posted inNews

Letter to editor: Gas Safety Week

a gas stove flame under a pan
Photo: Envato Elements licence